THE LOUISIANA BLACK BUSINESS DIRECTORY
SUPPORT BLACK BUSINESS!!!
The Louisiana Black Business Directory is the portal for a strong community and economic growth in the African-American Community. We celebrate the accomplishments of Black Business and encourage the support of all small companies and corporations. This directory is for the purpose of promoting business in the African American Community in an effort to increase economic strength in local neighborhoods.
PLACE YOUR AD ON OUR LABBD POSTER
3000 Editions Printed
Please take a few moments and leave your comments in our Guest Book.
Louisiana Black Business Directory Honors & Informational Pages
The Black Card offers savings and discounts on various services and items. To order your card and to view a list of specials and deals.
THE LOUISIANA VIOLENCE FREE ZONE
BLACK HISTORY HONORS - LOUISIANA HEROS
The LABBD Top 5
Each week will feature our top 5 restaurant picks.
1. Pearl's Country Kitchen -Opelousas* * * * *
2. Bayou Cafe - Baton Rouge * * * *
3. Glenda's Creole Kitchen - Breaux Bridge * * *
4. Veronica's Cafe - Carencro * * *
5. N & Out Soul Food - Baton Rouge * * *
WEEKLY RESTAURANT CRITIQUE
N & Out Soul Food and Catering
* * *
I recently visited one of Baton Rouge's newest Soul Food hot spots and was pleasantly surprised with the truly authentic flavors on the menu. N & Out Soul Food and Catering offers delightful down home choices with a Jamaican twist. The atmosphere was a typical dive environment and the staff were very friendly. From the moment that I walked through the door the aroma of a stewing meats and simmering gravy's filled my nostrils and my stomach immediately began to churn. At the suggestion of my waitress I ordered the oxtail with white beans which was served over rice, and boy id I make the right choice. The oxtail were seasoned to perfection bringing out the rich flavor of beef oxtail. They were fall off the bone tender and melted in my mouth. The white beans were creamy and were enhanced by the flavor of smoked pig tails giving way to a hardy and satisfying meal. I completely enjoyed my visit to N & Out Soul Food and will be back!!!!
- "Chef T"
LABBD Food Critic
LEAVE A COMMENT
Have you been to our featured restuarant?
Leave your comment and it may be featured on our restaurant page.
Foods That Help Prevent Prostate Cancer
- Tomatoes, watermelon, and other red foods owe their bright color to a powerful antioxidant called lycopene. Studies show that men who consume this fruit and tomato-based products have a lower risk of prostate cancer than those who don’t. Other findings suggest that cooking tomatoes makes it easier for your body to absorb lycopene. The redder the tomato, the better because lycopene accumulates during ripening. That means that pale, store-bought tomatoes that are picked too early have less lycopene than vine-ripened tomatoes.
- Nutrients and vitamins contained in fruits and vegetables may lower your risk of getting prostate cancer. Green vegetables contain compounds that help your body break down cancer-causing substances called carcinogens. A nutrient-rich diet may also help slow the spread of cancer.
- By eating fruits and vegetables throughout the day, you’ll be less likely to fill up on processed junk food.
- Fatty acid, known as omega-3, may help reduce your risk of developing prostate cancer. Omega-3 is found in certain fish including sardines, tuna, mackerel, trout, and salmon.Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that when compared to a high-fat diet, eating a low-fat diet and taking fish oil supplements slows the growth of prostate cancer cells. It’s easier to treat cancer that hasn’t yet spread outside the prostate.
- Some studies have shown that men who drink green tea, or take green tea extract supplements, have a lower risk of prostate cancer than those who don’t.
- Folate: Some studies suggest that low folate levels in your blood increase your risk for cancer, says the National Cancer Institute. Folate is found in a variety of foods, including green vegetables, beans, and orange juice. Increasing your intake of these foods may reduce the risk of prostate cancer. However, supplementing with folic acid, a man-made form of folate, may increase the risk of cancer.
- Prostate cancer patients who smoke are more likely to have a recurrence of the disease, says the ACS. Smokers are also more likely to have an aggressive form of prostate cancer.It's not too late to quit. When compared with current smokers, prostate cancer patients who quit smoking for more than 10 years had the same mortality risk as those who never smoked.
Be the first to correctly answer the trivia question and win a prize from our GIFT VAULT. All fields must be completely filled out.
Who was the local farmer whose ambition to improving agricultural production lead to his inventing of he sugacane planting machine? What town was he from?
You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if they’re required for employment and if the clothes aren’t suitable for everyday use. Delivery workers, firefighters, health care workers and professional athletes can all use this deduction. Musicians and entertainers can also deduct the cost of job-specific theatrical clothing and accessories.
Programs to Stop Smoking
Any program to help you stop smoking qualifies as a deductible medical expense, but you can’t include non-prescription items such as nicotine gum or patches.
Click The Banner To Go To Page
THE DHARMA WEEKLY WELLNESS CORNER
Dr. Guyden began her work at Grambling State University in August 2005. During her tenure at Grambling she has served as Dean for the College of Professional and Graduate Studies and is the current Interim Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs. Dr. Guyden has served as a professor of educational leadership; been actively involved in teaching, research, grant writing, and service; and has served as a member of the National Academy of Science/Nation Research Council Leadership Summit to Effect Change in Teaching and Learning and is one of the contributing authors of the Council’s book Transforming Undergraduate Education in Agriculture: Sustainable education for a changing world. Her research interests include the impact of organizations on individual functioning with specific interest in Historically Black Colleges and the teacher education reform.
She received her Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Howard University, her M.Ed. degree in counselor education from Worchester State College, and her Ph.D. in educational leadership from Georgia State University.
The LABBD Is Celebrating Our Louisiana Heros and Individuals Making a Difference.
Dr. Janet Guyden
Grambling State University
SUPER HUGE HOME ON A SUPER HUGE LOT. LOTS OF ROOM TO ROAM ~ 4 FULL BEDROOMS WITH A GIGANTIC MASTER BEDROOM ~ COMBINATION BETWEEN AND OPEN AND SPLIT FLOORPLAN WITH A TRADITIONAL FLARE ~ KITCHEN
655 Waverly Dr. Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Real Estate Listing of The Week
Click On Button Below To Go To City Page
The most popular loan programs offered are: Conventional, FHA, VA, USDA/Rural Development, First Time Home Buyers, Bond Money, 100% Financing, Reverse Mortgages.
Conventional Loans and Government Loans
Mortgages are also classified as either “conventional loans” or “government loans.” Conventional loans can be conforming or jumbo, but are not insured or guaranteed by the government. Then there are government loans, such as the widely popular FHA loan. This type of mortgage is backed by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). Another common government loan is the VA loan, backed by the Department of Veteran Affairs. The max loan amount for these types of loans varies by county.