THE LOUISIANA BLACK BUSINESS DIRECTORY
SUPPORT BLACK BUSINESS!!!
The Louisiana Black Business Directory is the portal for a strong community and economic growth in the African-American Community. We celebrate the accomplishments of Black Business and encourage the support of all small companies and corporations. This directory is for the purpose of promoting business in the African American Community in an effort to increase economic strength in local neighborhoods.
Now Taking Ads For Our Fall Magazine Series
Please take a few moments and leave your comments in our Guest Book.
Louisiana Black Business Directory Honors & Informational Pages
The Black Card offers savings and discounts on various services and items. To order your card and to view a list of specials and deals.
Click Banner To Go To Page
THE LOUISIANA VIOLENCE FREE ZONE
BLACK HISTORY HONORS - LOUISIANA HEROS
The LABBD Top 5
Week of 2/23/15
Each week will feature our top 5 restaurant picks.
1. Pearl's Country Kitchen -Opelousas* * * * *
2. Bayou Cafe - Baton Rouge * * * *
3. Glenda's Creole Kitchen - Breaux Bridge * * *
4. Veronica's Cafe - Carencro * * *
5. N & Out Soul Food - Baton Rouge * * *
WEEKLY RESTAURANT CRITIQUE
Week Of: February 23rd
N & Out Soul Food and Catering
* * *
I recently visited one of Baton Rouge's newest Soul Food hot spots and was pleasantly surprised with the truly authentic flavors on the menu. N & Out Soul Food and Catering offers delightful down home choices with a Jamaican twist. The atmosphere was a typical dive environment and the staff were very friendly. From the moment that I walked through the door the aroma of a stewing meats and simmering gravy's filled my nostrils and my stomach immediately began to churn. At the suggestion of my waitress I ordered the oxtail with white beans which was served over rice, and boy id I make the right choice. The oxtail were seasoned to perfection bringing out the rich flavor of beef oxtail. They were fall off the bone tender and melted in my mouth. The white beans were creamy and were enhanced by the flavor of smoked pig tails giving way to a hardy and satisfying meal. I completely enjoyed my visit to N & Out Soul Food and will be back!!!!
- "Chef T"
LABBD Food Critic
LEAVE A COMMENT
Have you been to our featured restuarant?
Leave your comment and it may be featured on our restaurant page.
Foods That Will Help Lower Your Cholesterol
4. Avocado: Healthy Fat Superfood Avocados are a great source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat?a type of fat that may actually help to raise levels of HDL ("good"cholesterol) while lowering levels of LDL ("bad" cholesterol). And these delectable green orbs pack more of the cholesterol-smashing beta-sitosterol (a beneficial plant-based fat) than any other fruit. Beta-sitosterol reduces the amount of cholesterol absorbed from food. So the combination of beta-sitosterol and monounsaturated fat makes the avocado an excellent cholesterol buster.
How to get some Avocado is a bit high in calories. Your best strategy: Use this luscious veggie in place of another high-fat food or condiment.
Eat this much The American Heart Association recommends that you get up to 15%t of your daily calories from monounsaturated fats like those contained in avocados, but some heart experts recommend an even greater percentage. (In an 1,800-calorie diet, 15% translates into 30 grams per day.) FYI: A whole avocado has about 300 calories and 30g fat.
5. Garlic: The Ancient Herb for Heart Health For thousands of years, garlic has been used in nearly every culture in the world, and not just to repel evil. Its nutritional value and flavor have made it a kitchen staple. Ancient Egyptians ate garlic for stamina; in modern times, garlic has been found to lower cholesterol, prevent blood clots, reduce blood pressure, and protect against infections. Now research has found that it helps stop artery-clogging plaque at its earliest stage (called nanoplaque). How? Garlic keeps individual cholesterol particles from sticking to artery walls.
How to get some Next time you hit the supermarket, pick up a tub of freshly peeled garlic cloves, and challenge yourself to make sure it's gone before the "best by" date. Chop up and toss on pizza, in soups, or on side dishes.
6. Spinach: The Heart Healthy Green Giant Spinach contains lots of lutein, the sunshine-yellow pigment found in dark green leafy vegetables and egg yolks. Lutein already has a "golden" reputation for guarding against age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness. Now research suggests that just a 1/2 cup of a lutein-rich food daily also guards against heart attacks by helping artery walls "shrug off" cholesterol invaders that cause clogging.
How to get some Look for 9-oz bags of baby spinach leaves that you can pop in the microwave (ready in 3 minutes). Top with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan and 1 tablespoon of toasted sunflower seeds. Add a roll, and you've got a heavenly low-cal dinner for one.
Eat this much Spinach is the richest source of lutein. Shoot for a ½ cup a day.
BF-4 Contains all the four major fat burners and is specially formulated to help your body burn fat and build muscle naturally and safely. BF-4 is no a miracle drug, but is a healthy alternative to diet pills and unhealthy fadish products.
- Green Coffee Bean Extract
Be the first to correctly answer the trivia question and win a prize from our GIFT VAULT. All fields must be completely filled out.
Who was the local farmer whose ambition to improving agricultural production lead to his inventing of he sugacane planting machine? What town was he from?
You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if they’re required for employment and if the clothes aren’t suitable for everyday use. Delivery workers, firefighters, health care workers and professional athletes can all use this deduction. Musicians and entertainers can also deduct the cost of job-specific theatrical clothing and accessories.
Programs to Stop Smoking
Any program to help you stop smoking qualifies as a deductible medical expense, but you can’t include non-prescription items such as nicotine gum or patches.
Click The Banner To Go To Page
THE DHARMA WEEKLY WELLNESS CORNER
Keith "Super Cool" O'Conner is the Owner/Operator of one of the most thriving Men's Wear stores in Louisiana. Known for it's flair, style, and finesse, Super Cool Fashions has been marked as a premiere destination when you're ready to dress to impress. Mr. Keith was born in New Orleans and raised in Baton Rouge. He attended McKinley High School and later joined the Navy. Upon his honarable discharge from the Navy, Mr. Keith knew one day he would be a business owner as this had been his dream as a younger man. "When you have confidence in what you beleive, then you can go forward in faith." says Keith. He added, "Although I didn't know what direction in business or exactly what I was going to do;God already had a time and season for Siper Cool Fashion Men's Wear." After working as a salesperson in a downtown Baton Rouge clothing store, Mr. Keith gained the motivation and expertise which prepared him for the seed in which God planted which birthed Super Cool Fashions years later. "My advice to potential business owners is to put God first; get wisdom; stay focused; know who you are; stand firm on what you believe; and give God the glory!"
The LABBD Is Celebrating Our Louisiana Heros and Individuals Making a Difference. Check Back Each Week For Two More HEROS
Shelton R. McClain is *Managing Partner and Financial Advisor of McClain Financial Group, L.L.C. He obtained a Masters of Public Administration in Public Finance (1993), a B. S. in Business Management (1990) and a B.S. in Business Marketing (1989) from Southern University A&M College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He began his career in the banking and financial institution in 1992. He holds several securities registrations including the Series 24 (2006), Series 65 (2005), Series 7 (2004), Series 6 (1997), Series 63 (1997), and Life and Health Insurance License (1996).
Super Cool Fashions
Baton Rouge, LA
Shelton R. McClain
Baton Rouge, LA